Hillsborough Owlerton Local History

 With a bit of Sheffield History thrown in... 

The old photograph above is of Owlerton Green, the Green and the cottages are long gone. An interesting art deco style block of flats, Regent Court stands nearby which was built in the 1930s. Hillsborough Barracks is an amazing piece of architecture that is accessible to any member of the public wanting to access one of the many businesses  now housed there. It is worth going into the Garrison Hotel for a cup of coffee or a meal simply to see the architecture of the building.

Just along Penistone Road on Burrowlee Road moving away from the city centre is Burrowlee House built in 1711,  incorporating an earlier house and now modern apartments. A little further along Penistone Rd is (also on the left) Hillsborough Park with Hillsborough Hall and garden (1779) standing within it. 

Wadsley has the very fine Wadsley Hall and Farm as well as Wadsley Grove and Wadsley House. The former two are still family homes and Wadsley House is a social club.

Loxley is a beautiful valley and the river can be followed from Malin Bridge in Hillsborough up to Bradfield which is in the Peak District. Along the way are remains of what were once water mills and a rolling mill which is still in use. Loxley House, now modern apartments has a history going back to the 1700's though the current building dates to 1826

Middlewood along the Penistone Road has a long history with buildings such as Beeley Forge, Middlewood Grange and Middlewood Hall as well as the Toll Bar Cottage.

A walk along Rivelin Valley also very beautiful and packed with history can be found on the internet at  http://www.rivelinvalley.org.uk/valley.php